At La Cosecha I learned a new vocabulary-practice strategy: Thumb Challenge!
Create a game board for each pair of students. The example in the picture used two crowns from Burger King (sorry about the glare). Along each side have the same set of vocabulary words and the word start. You could attach the words with tape, velcro, sticky notes. Then:
- Have each pair of students sit knee-to-knee;
- Place their thumbs at the starting line;
- Partner A moves his/ her thumb to the first word and challenges partner B to define the word and use it in a sentence;
- If partner B is correct, partner A asks about the next word; if not partner B asks partner A about the first word;
- If neither partner can define/ use the word they need to get assistance.
Options: Use a third person to serve as the judge, deciding if the definition and usage are correct. Let students use notebooks and environmental print to aid them