Were they banned? The District says they were just removed from the classroom but that students can still find them in the library. Hopefully that will happen. It sounds like a ban to me. If nothing else, I hope that it gives attention to these texts and motivates people to read them.
Rene said the seven books removed from the classrooms were:
- “Critical Race Theory” by Richard Delgado;
- “500 Years of Chicano History in Pictures” edited by Elizabeth Martinez;
- “Message to AZTLAN” by Rodolfo Corky Gonzales;
- “Chicano! The History of the Mexican Civil Rights Movement” by Arturo Rosales;
- “Occupied America: A History of Chicanos” by Rodolfo Acuña;
- “Pedagogy of the Oppressed” by Paulo Freire;
- and “Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years” by Bill Bigelow.