Banned Books- well, just removed from the classroom
Were they banned? The District says they were just removed from the classroom but that students can still find them in the library. Hopefully that will happen. It sounds like a ban to me. If nothing else, I hope that it gives attention to these texts and motivates people to read them.
Rene said the seven books removed from the classrooms were:
- “Critical Race Theory” by Richard Delgado;
- “500 Years of Chicano History in Pictures” edited by Elizabeth Martinez;
- “Message to AZTLAN” by Rodolfo Corky Gonzales;
- “Chicano! The History of the Mexican Civil Rights Movement” by Arturo Rosales;
- “Occupied America: A History of Chicanos” by Rodolfo Acuña;
- “Pedagogy of the Oppressed” by Paulo Freire;
- and “Rethinking Columbus: The Next 500 Years” by Bill Bigelow.